Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Waimea Bay

Today we woke up late and headed out to Waimea Bay on the North Shore. (Thanks for the suggestion little JoAnn!)  It was a beautiful beach and we were looking forward to swimming in the warm, calm waters.  But today no swimming was allowed because there were sharks in the water!  We could see about 2 or 3 sharks circling the waters right by the shore.  David and I were standing where the waves just wet your feet and we had to STEP BACK because a shark got so close.  The shark must have been about 10-15 feet away from us.  ACK!  These sharks were way smaller than Jaws but I never thought they could get that close to the shore.  wow.  I don't think I can ever swim in the ocean again now that I've witnessed this.  

We also stopped at a great little Mexican food place in Haleiwa.  The North Shore is exactly what I pictured all of Hawaii to be like.  It's a sleepy little surf town that reminded me a lot of LBI.  We also had an off road adventure in the Jeep.  We thought this one "local" road would be a short cut around the island... it was EXTREMELY bumpy and NOT PAVED.  About 45 minutes into the bumpiest ride of my life, the road ended with a gate.  We had to go back the exact same way we came.  It felt like an old, wooden roller coaster.  David loved this of course.  I'm glad we survived.

1 comment:

Jill said...

thought i would comment and let you know i'm following your blog... and dreaming of being on the beaches in the pictures rather than here at work! ~Love, Jill